As from John’s experience, we can say that Songkran can be fun filled event for all, no matter from which part of the world are you from. So here are some quick guides regarding Songkran which our guest can know, in-order to have pleasant and memorable Songkran celebration in Thailand.
What is Songkran?
Songkran is popular for being a water splashing festival throughout the country during the hottest time of the year. However, for those who are not as clued up on Thai history, Songkran is actually a celebration of Thai New Year during mid-April from 13th to 15th. Traditionally, Thai families would visit relatives to receive blessings and ask for forgiveness from their seniors. In the modern day, Songkran has become a one of the biggest water festival in the world.
What are “Dos & Don’ts” for Songkran?
- Put your mobile phone & wallet/purse in a water proof zip lock to avoid it from getting wet. As for water-proof zip lock, you can buy it in any convenient store.
- Thai culture is still bit conservative hence it is recommended to wear colorful Songkran dress rather than transparent & in-appropriate dresses.
- Leave behind your passport or other travel document in hotel itself and carry a copy of it or take a picture of it on phone, if, required you show it to the concerned party.
- Apply sun screen lotion and keep your self-hydrated as it one of the hottest period in Thailand.
- Lastly always be cheerful & respectful to others while deciding to play or not while not willing to play Songkran.
- Use of banned equipment is big no as it might get you into a trouble with law or you might end up hurting someone. Hence it best advisable to stick with water buckets or light water guns
- Please don’t apply powders on people forcefully as it might be considered indecent touching & some people might be allergic to it, hence its best suggested to ask people’s consent before doing so.
- Alcohol consumption at large amount is completely discouraged as you might end up hurting yourself or other. So, its best advisable to enjoy this festival in sober state of mind.
- Don’t wear a shoe or flip-flop with not so strong grip as floor gets bit slippery due to wet floors
- Don’t throw water on motorcyclist as it might cause an accident.
- Lastly, don’t be aggressive or irresponsible while playing Songkran, be it for use of water or while playing with other.
Where to go play Songkran in Bangkok?
Probably the largest and wildest crowd in Bangkok; The entire 5 km length of this street – mostly known for Patpong – is packed on two levels with thousands of young Thais carrying anything that can spray water.
RCA holds the most creative events that combine clubbing styles and water fights together. Each club brings you your favorite DJs/ singers, from both international and locals scene, to their own yards. The biggest event in RCA is called S20 Songkran festival where they have DJ line ups for 3 nights. You will feel like you are in a miniature of Ultra Music festival plus water splashing.
Hope our guide to celebrate Songkran might have been of some help to you all in-order to experience a pleasant & memorable time celebrating this awesome festival while staying with us at our compass hotels which offers you a special offers during this period for you to enjoy. Click here for more information on our exclusive summer promotion.